Wines of Romagna

Romagna is an ideal destination for wine lovers

 

ALBANA DI ROMAGNA

Early records concerning Albana are shrouded in legend. It is said that Galla Placidia tasted it and was enraptured by it, while Frederick Barbarossa, a guest in the hills of Forlì, was so enraptured by it that he indulged in frequent hangovers.

Grape variety Albana

Albana is a white wine with a straw-yellow color and a dry, often even amabile or semisweet flavor of moderate acidity, full-bodied, somewhat tannic. It is produced in four particular types, dry, amabile, sweet, and passito.
Dry albana is straw yellow in color, tending to golden with age. The flavor is dry, somewhat tannic, warm and well balanced. The minimum total alcohol content is 11.50°.

The amabile and sweet types are equally straw yellow in color, smell characteristic of Albana grapes, and taste amabile or sweet, pleasantly fruity. The minimum total alcohol content is 12°. Great for doughnut, a typical Romagna dessert.
Albana di Romagna passito, a red wine, has a golden yellow color tending to amber, an intense, characteristic odor and a velvety flavor that is pleasantly sweet or amabile. The mixed alcohol content carried out is 12°, overall 15.5° and cannot be released for consumption before April 1 following the harvest.

The production area can be traced between the Senio Valley and the Lamone River.

 

CAGNINA DI ROMAGNA

The Cagnina produced today in Romagna is a red wine, often sweet, a little tannic and slightly acidic, ready

Grape variety Cagnina

to drink a few months after the harvest, after a very rapid aging in barrels. In some particularly favorable vintages, a product can be obtained that deserves a couple of years of aging to be drunk in its fullest expression.

It is made from grapes from the Refosco grape variety, locally called Terrano, at least 85 percent; the remaining 15 percent may be from grapes of recommended or authorized grape varieties present in the vineyards. The grapes are harvested in late September and vinified; the wine is bottled around the first decade of November to better appreciate its organoleptic characteristics.

It is excellent with sweets, dry pastries, Romagna doughnut and on strawberries, and the production area can be found in the municipalities of Brisighella, Casola Valsenio, Castelbolognese, Faenza and Riolo Terme. A grape variety of Friulian origin, its spread in Romagna may date back to Byzantine times when large quantities of limestone were imported from Dalmatia and Istria for the construction of Ravenna’s most important monuments.

 

PAGADEBIT

Straw-yellow wine, characteristic hawthorn odor, may have a dry or sweetish, herbaceous, harmonious, pleasant, delicate flavor. The minimum alcohol content at consumption is 10.50 percent for the dry type and 11 percent for the amabile type. Pagadebit owes its name to the characteristics of the grape of the same name, which contributes 85 percent in the formation of its blend.

It is an extremely fertile and productive vine, with robust berries that are resistant to even the most adverse weather conditions, to the point of being the only one, in particularly unfortunate years, that still provides fruit in the vineyard and thus allows the farmer to be able to make even a minimal harvest and “pay off debts” incurred the previous year..

Informazioni e ringraziamenti

In partnership with:
Union of Romagna Faentina